Ads

Saturday 29 October 2011

Choon of the Week! - Shady 2.0 BET Cypher

"I'm grown, I ain't watching the throne, I'm sabotaging it"

When BET released the videos for their annual cyphers, the Hip Hop world debated for days which team tore down the set.  The Maybach Music crew obviously brought pure heat, with Rick Ross and Wale in particular shining.  As did Blind Fury (when is he going to blow?!) and Busta Rhymes (as always) in their respective groups.

But as a collective, the award for the best cypher has to go to Team Shady.  Featuring the biggest and best new rap group put together, Slaughterhouse, the cypher sees Eminem, Yellawolf and Slaughterhouse drop line after line and metaphor after metaphor.




After putting the whole thing on my ipod this week, I've changed my mind on who killed it the most about six times (one for each rapper).  Yellawolf makes a strong case, as does one of my favourite rappers during secondary school, Joe Budden, who has been sorely missed from the rap scene.

But for sheer ingenuity, the award for best verse in the cypher must go to Royce.  His "Hi Rihanna" lines got me cracking up, and trended on twitter for quite a while after that as well. He has been the leading light in Slaughterhouse and completely merked the album, which more or less rounds up a great year for the resurrected Detroit rapper.

So even though I am a little late, the Shady 2.0 BET Cypher is The Urbanite's 'Choon the Week'!.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment